Localized Appreesh is our thank-you column to the musicians that make the Bay. To be considered, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Another blog this week declared Golden Void “the Bay Area's best new psych band,” and I'm not about to quibble. The band, named after a Hawkwind track, features members of Earthless, and Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound, and just released a mind-bending, fuzzy guitar-bursting beaut of a debut album, out now on Thrill Jockey.
The self-titled LP clearly showcases the band's love of 1970s psych, proto-metal, and space rock, dipping into Black Sabbath (vocally) and yes, namesake Hawkwind territory throughout. Check out the acid-laced video for “Virtue” below, then check the band's answers to the Localized Appreesh questionnaire. Once you pick yourself up off the ground, make it out the band's album release party Friday at the Hemlock Tavern.
Year and location of origin: 2010 in San Francisco.
Band name origin: Song by Hawkwind.
Band motto: Did you see the Giants game?
Description of sound in 10 words or less: Herds of buffalo running through the open plains.
Instrumentation: Bass, drums, keyboards, guitar and vocals.
Most recent release: Self-titled album November 2012 on Thrill Jockey.
Best part about life as a Bay Area band: The Giants, The A's, redwood trees and great bands to play with.
Worst part about life as a Bay Area band: Cant complain, really.
First album ever purchased: Grateful Dead's In the Dark.
Most recent albumpurchased/downloaded: Witchcraft's Legend.
Favourite local eatery and dish: Escape from New York's "You Say Potato" slice and their mushroom slice.
Most Commented On
- I don't think means testing - May 23, 2013
- "Again, I repeat: YOU DO NOT - May 23, 2013
- To hell with all of you Guests - May 23, 2013
- I can explain the confusion - May 23, 2013
- You can live far above - May 23, 2013
- Um, it doesn't matter how - May 23, 2013
- As someone who works for the poor - May 23, 2013
- It's not a myth, there's a - May 23, 2013
- Speaking of precious - May 23, 2013
- Renters subsidize homeowners - May 23, 2013